This recipe for Raw Living Hummus is so perfectly balanced, that I don’t dare tweek it! And speaking of tweeking… I think of this stuff as “hippie crack” because it is that GOOD, it will leave your friends coming back for more. This recipe is from one of my most favorite un-cookbooks, “I am Grateful: Recipes & Lifestyle of Café Gratitude”
Raw Living Hummus
Makes 3 cups
*please note you can easily 1/2 this recipe and still end up with a hearty batch!
- 2 1/2 cups almonds, soaked for 12 hours, (remove skins by sliding off or blanching if needed)
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon raw tahini*
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 3/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water (add slowly, as needed)
*You can also grind sesame seeds into a fine powder in your coffee grinder instead of purchasing actual store bought tahini
Remove skins from soaked almonds by sliding off, or blanching. Add the soaked almonds to your food processor and grind down to a coarse meal. Add in the remaining ingredients, making sure to add the water as needed to reach the desired creamy consistency.
To serve, drizzle with olive oil, or dust with paprika.
Serve with fresh sliced veggies or raw falafel. Also makes a great addition to a Greek style salad.
Here is an easy to follow video of raw living hummus in action: http://www.ganges.com/Hippy_Gourmet_at_Cafe_Gratitude_making_raw_vegan_Hummus_video_7028134/