WARNING: This recipe is so good. Like really really good. It is so refreshing, anti-inflammatory, and it tastes absolutely divine.
Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
*This ice cream recipe works awesome with fresh coconut meat or with canned coconut milk. I honestly like it both ways equally!
- 1 -1/2 cups fresh Coconut Meat* (from 2 or 3 Young Thai Coconuts)
- 1/2 cup coconut water*
*OR Use one – 12oz. can full fat coconut milk* (this replaces coconut meat + coconut water)
- 1 cup frozen dark cherries, chopped (divided)
- 1/3 cup sweetener: coconut nectar, maple syrup, or (non vegan) honey
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (can be omitted)
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (omit for AIP)
- optional: 1 Tablespoon vodka, this makes a softer ice cream for scooping, if you plan to keep this frozen for a little while. The vodka doesn’t freeze, so when added to vegan ice creams it makes them softer, especially after being kept in the freezer for a while.
- optional: 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice (brilliant idea from Vedged Out and Ben & Jerry’s Ingredient list)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons raw cacao powder (use carob for AIP)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Blend coconut meat and coconut water (or canned coconut milk) + 3 cherries (for pink color), sweetener, almond extract, vanilla & lemon juice in a high speed blender. Pour into ice cream maker. While mixing in the ice cream maker, make the chocolate pieces.
- Gently melt coconut oil over low heat, stir in cacao and maple syrup. Pour onto a piece of wax/parchment paper on a flat plate or baking dish. Freeze sheet of chocolate for 15 minutes, then break into small pieces.
- When ice cream is starting to firm up, add in frozen chopped cherries. When ice cream is ready, stir in broken up pieces of the raw chocolate. (You can also just pour the chocolate recipe over the ice cream, and it will act like a “magic shell” covering that hardens up when it hits the cold ice cream!)
*Also check out Vedged Out’s Raw Version using cashews!