“Best Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream EVER.”
When my hubby told me he could see this ice cream being sold out of Whole Foods by the truckload, I knew I was onto something. My husband is always super supportive of my endevours, and willing to try anything green, but he is also always very honest. So when he is impressed by something I have created in the raw food kitchen, I always know I am onto something.
I got an ice cream maker for by latest b-day, and I believe that really helped make this ice cream super soft and creamy like the store bought stuff. Not hard and icy like the homemade ice creams that I made before the Cuisinart ice cream maker came to live with us. I went with the 2 Quart Size. Recipe below easily serves 4 hearty portions, but you still might want to double it!
Best Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream EVER Recipe:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 huge handful fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (I use one based in sunflower oil)*
- 1/3 cup sweetener, coconut nectar, honey, or maple syrup
- optional: 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (this makes the ice cream extra creamy!) Some people have reported having difficulty adding in the coconut oil, though I personally love way it softens up this ice cream. If you have a hard time getting the coconut oil to blend in, just omit it!
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs (add at the very end)
Blend coconut milk, spinach, sweetener and peppermint flavor on high in a high speed blender. While blending, slowly add in melted coconut oil in a small stream, much like when making an emulsified dressing or mayo. Then blend on high a little bit longer in your Vitamix or Blendtec. Taste test for sweetness and peppermint, adjust to your liking. Pour into your ice cream maker.
If you have a Cuisinart ice cream maker, (also available in 2 Quart Size) let it run for 20 minutes, and add in raw cacao nibs slowly for the final 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls, serve, or freeze for later. I am happy to say that the next day, after sitting in the freezer overnight, this ice cream was still super soft and creamy, just like outta the carton, but way better!!
*Make sure to adjust peppermint flavor to preference based on the strength of the extract you are using. I personally really like using alcohol free extracts like this one: Organic Peppermint Oil in Sunflower Oil.